It began over 2000 years ago when Julius Cesar offered this rocky outcrop, now known as the massif de la Clape, as a grateful reward to his most favoured legionnaires. They were the first to plant the land in vines and successfully export their wine both east and west.
Their choice of variety is significant, as the Malvoisie grape was reputed in Greek mythology to proffer the gift of wisdom!
Winemaking has continued here ever since, and Languedoc region became part of France under the reign of Louis VIII, with a large part of it under the management of Anglès bailiffs from 1226 until the French revolution.
It was Barthélémy Etienne d'Anglès who took over the estate after the revolution when he was a local mayor in the late 1700's, with the vineyard then remaining in the Anglès family for over a hundred years.
The Château d'Anglès vines bask in 300 days of sunshine a year, enjoy an average temperature of 14°C and benefit from the prevailing dry northerly winds to keep them healthy. In addition, the moisture carried inland by the night sea breeze allows the grapes to reach full aromatic and phenolic maturation.
And it is the surrounding vegetation of the "garrigue", including pines, thyme, rosemary, juniper and the aromatic cistus bushes, which contributes the aromas that give the wines of the terroir de la Clape their specifically Mediterranean flavour.
This apparently dry and hostile environment belies its generosity, and in fact, the hard, stony, well-draining limestone soil, together with the sunny climate, all combine to offer exceptional wine growing conditions.